Saturday, September 8, 2007

News Habits

I love the news. I hate the news. It's a complex relationship. I do receive the newspaper everyday. The Dallas Morning News that is. I signed up for that a few years back when I was knee deep in journalism classes, and I fell in love, but I hate it!
So most of my news is gathered from reading the daily paper. A close second to that is the telly. I find myself flipping between FOX News, CNN, and MSNBC when I find some afternoon time to sit around. There are far too many commercials though. That gives me a great idea; Why don't I start recording the news on my DVR? Ingenious!
Most of what I pay attention to is sports related. I'm a sports nut, and everything else just makes me melancholy. Of course I like to know of worldly and local events, but I'm most concerned with whether the Spurs or the Cowboys won. I'm growing apathetic to negative news in my old age.
I most likely spend no more than an hour or two a day reading or watching the news. Somedays I allow myself no time. Not enough hours in the day sometimes.
When I find myself reading about race, gender, sexuality, or disabilities I tend to assume that the media remains mostly fair and balanced. It does vary from network to network or medium to medium, but professional news organizations routinely look for a middle ground. That's not to say racism or sexism is not there, it is just reported covertly in a biased way. A keen mind can read between the lines.

Johnny

No comments: