Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Racism in America.

After much thought and discussion about the subject I brought to light in class, I wanted to add to a little. I mentioned the occurance at my job where I asked a co-worker to take something to the 'black' gentleman at the end of the table. A fellow 'white' co-worker felt it neccesary to comment that he perceived my comment as derogatory and racist. Okay, that should preface this.
I find it absurd that there are people out there, as there are in our class, who say they don't see color in people's skin. I understand that noticing skin color is particular to our culture, and that we are taught to distinguish color, but that is just it. We "all" know that human nature recognizes different races of people, classes, catagories, ethnicities, and above all else...color!
The true ignorance of this mentality is when an individual decides that there are automatic differences due to coloration. Intended discrimination! That is where ignorance comes in, not because I simply classified somebody in order to maintain proficiency in the workplace.
I see color. I know a black man, brown woman, or white kid when I view one. I know the difference, in color. You can classify me all you want, but don't degrade or judge me if you don't know me. Call me white boy, gringo, etc. It doesn't bother me to know that I am white. If it bothers someone that they are what they are then they have problems, not me.
And when people play the race card! This gets under my skin. Some always blame it on racism if things don't go entirely their way. Get over it. I could go on all day, so I'll stop here.

No comments: